Sunday 16 June 2013

ADSL drop outs caused by 80m - cured ?

It took a while but I finally realized that the sporadic multiple ADSL drop outs coincided with the 80m club championship contests!! The "short - term" cure was to turn off the router during these events!! It took even longer to find a cure. Various ferrites had no effect but by a process of elimination the pick up was on the telephone line input to the router. Interesting given that the telephone feeds in this area are buried. Though a colleague did a professional study on this a few years ago and reports that the attenuation to buried cables is less than 10db. Finally I built the ADSL filter described by G3VMW at here


.

I haven't had the chance to measure it - but - it works.  According to the router statistics the line attenuation has gone up by a dB and I may have lost 500kbps on my line rate, but I can now run 100 watts on 80m without any drop outs.  In the past 10 watts clobbered the router.

No comments:

Post a Comment